GREAT AKOKITE
I want to be Professor at 36 – Adeyemi, 26, Phd holder
Tope Adeyemi, a
26-year-old female graduate emerged the best graduating PhD student of
the University of Lagos. Apart from being the best graduating student,
she also holds the record as the youngest PhD holder to be produced by
the 50 year old institution. Weekly Trust caught up with her, hours
after the convocation ceremony. Excerpts:
How do you feel emerging the best graduating PhD student of UNILAG?
Well, I belief it is a thing of honour, and I am very excited to be an awardee.
How prepared are you to shoulder the burden of the record you are setting today?
Of course yes. I am much aware of the
expectations of people and all that. But the truth is that someone has
to set the record and I’m glad that person is me.
Did you ever dream of achieving this feat when you first enrolled as a PhD student?
Yes. In everything I do, I always aspire
to put in my best and get the best result, this latest achievement
inclusive, I thank God Almighty for giving me the privilege to make it
through in a university environment like this. You know, it could be
very strenuous. It required lots of perseverance to get to this stage.
So how strenuous will you describe the journey?
It was tedious and rough. I mean it
required lots of studying, research and continuous efforts to ensure
that one got absolute good result. What I can only say is that in the
end, the efforts paid-off. It wasn’t in vain and that specifically is my
joy.
During the course of your study as PhD days, how would you describe the relationship between you and other elderly colleagues?
The relationship was fantastic and
wonderful while the studies lasted. The good thing is that they did not
look down on me that I’m younger than them in age; rather, they saw in
me someone they could gain or learn one thing or the other from.
What will you say about your growing up and parental background?
My growing up was very fantastic. I have
very supportive parents who will go to any length to ensure that you
have the very best in education. To that extent, I will always
appreciate my parents for their support over the years. In fact, they
are the ones who kept me on my toes and have made me to go this far.
Did you have your first and second degrees here in UNILAG?
Yes I did. In the same course of study and it is also in Botany.
How old were you when you had your first degree?
I was 21 when I had my BSc here in
UNILAG. And because I graduated with a first class, I came back and took
an MPhil programme and later did a conversion into a PhD programme.
Did you at any point time worked before commencing the PhD programme?
No, I didn’t work. However, when I
commenced the PhD programme, I took up appointment as an Assistant
Lecturer at the department of Botany, here in UNILAG. As an assistant
lecturer now, I look forward to climb up the ladder as I work harder. I
look forward to do more research and publications for knowledge and
development.
Can you give an insight as to what your PhD thesis was all about?
In my doctoral research, I was able to
contribute to knowledge in plant systematics, global biodiversity
information system, plant conservation, TREEBOL Africa and GenBank
through report on the position of African Sapindaceae (Soap berry
family) using molecular data, conservation of genomic DNA which were
deposited at the DNA Bank of the Royal Botanic Gardens Kew, London and
production of DNA barcodes for species identification. This can be seen
to contribute to national development as it addresses Convention on
Biological Diversity (CBD) and Millennium Development Goals (MDG)
particularly: CBD Articles 6 (General Measures for Conservation &
Sustainable Use), 7 (Identification and Monitoring), 15 (Access to
Genetic Resources), 16 (Access to and Transfer of Technology), CBD’s
Global Strategy for Plant Conservation Targets 1, 3, 9, 11, 15 and 16
and MDG Goals 1, 7 and 8 by targeting poverty reduction as well as
focusing on building and enhancing strong scientific and technological
capacity to support research.
How soon do you look forward to becoming a Professor?
Oh Yes. I look forward to being a Professor in the next 10 years. That’s my target.
Are you married?
I’m single.
So, when do you look forward to getting married?
Very soon.
While delivering your goodwill
message, you spoke on the need for government to invest in institutional
research. What informed this?
Yes. This is because from my
understanding of other universities of the world, what appears to have
taken them far is the fact that they invest much money in universities
for researches. I believe that is what has taken them far. So, if
Nigeria can buy into that idea, there is no reason why we won’t move
forward as a nation. For any nation to develop, there must be deep
investment in research. A nation that fails to invest in science and
technology has no economic future. I appeal to government at all levels
to invest in research and infrastructure development in our
universities.
As an academia, how best do you think other colleagues can contribute to the nation’s growth?
I belief we can solve some of the
nation’s challenges like insecurity, epileptic power supply, bad roads,
environmental challenges and even the cost of governance if we allow
those who are adequately groomed in each of these professions to handle
them. To the best of my knowledge, all disciplines are inter-related. No
discipline exists in isolation. Hence, for us to achieve the success of
national development, professionals in these fields need to be engaged.
We need to appreciate the importance of each another and collaborate
for the development of our nation.
What role do private investors have in all these?
It is equally important that private
organizations and corporate institutions partner with higher
institutions in the area of research and development without necessarily
compromising the quality of knowledge.
What advice do you have for fellow graduands?
To my fellow graduands, I use this
medium to encourage us not just to seek white-collar jobs but be self
reliant and create jobs where possible. Also as we strife to make a name
for ourselves in our various fields of expertise, let’s make every
effort not to become a man of success, but rather to become a man of
value because success is more permanent when you achieve it without
destroying your principles.
For those who are coming behind, what were the things you were doing right that you can recommend to them?
Yes, those coming after should learn how
to be persistent. They should not give up. They should realize that
failure comes only when one is tired of trying. When they keep trying
without giving up, surely some day, God will crown their efforts.
ACHILES COMIC WORLD WISHING YOU THE BEST OF LUCK
GOD BLESS YOU>>> TOPE ADEYEMI

No comments:
Post a Comment
place your comment here...